February 10, 2006

Is there a 12-step program for this?

This will come as a shocker, but I'm not a sports fan. For the uneducated, sports are not a real fascination for "the gay."

But I confess that there is one sporting event that makes me quiver like a Jell-O salad. It's the Olympics.

Yes, every four years (or now, thankfully every two years), I become a complete sports junkie. I will sit in front of the TV for hours watching every sport imaginable. Rhythmic Gymnastics? You twirl that ribbon! Curling? Bring out the brooms! Biathlon? (Who the hell invented that sport anyway? Oh - it appears it's been around for ages. Who knew?)

My most embarassing moment was during the Atlanta Summer Olympics in 1996. At the time I was in college, and thus had far too much free time. Since we were getting tons of coverage in the U.S., I would tape absolutely everything - and watch the daytime broadcast during the commercials in the evening. Seriously - it's an addiction. I have a problem!

So I can hardly wait for the opening ceremonies tonight. And soon...very soon...the Luge. I love the Luge. It is by far the coolest sport EVER. I would love to try it some day. But no way in hell you'll catch me doing the Skeleton. That shit is scary.



(I love that this picture is cropped, so it appears that our daring rider is a bit of a whore.)

7 comments:

ScottE. said...

this is skeleton or luge? I just want to jump in a fat snowsuit and hope on an innertube and slide down the run!!!! fun.


yep, i will watch, but i'll be a widow for the next two weeks.

starting tonight!

DC Food Blog said...

This is skeleton. I am really looking forward to all the figure skating. I love that the U.S.'s best hope for a medal on the men's side isa big ol' gay boy whose nickname is Tinkerbell.

Dancer in DC said...

The Skeleton is basically the Luge, but you do it head-first instead of feet-first. I believe the sled is a bit different to accomodate steering from that angle.

I just can't justify going down a bobsled track with my neck craned out, knowing that if I slip, I'm hitting with my head first!

ScottE. said...

I finally see the picture...TART! Now I love it and get it!

OK.

Stef said...

You and I *do* share the same brain!!!! :-) I can't wait to talk Games with you over the next 2 weeks. I'm glad there are others out there who share my addiction.

Emily said...

I'm watching the opening ceremonies right this minute! Sophia Loren is scary looking.

Anonymous said...

I'm the same way, vis-a-vis love-love-LOVING the Olympics despite being fairly "meh" toward sports generally. Mom and I used to watch them together for hours while eating those bake-'em-at-home soft pretzels.