March 20, 2008

What's in my book bag

My new commute is a bit longer, which is allowing me to read books a lot faster. Thus I present not 1, but 3 book reviews!

Hero by Perry Moore

ScottE turned me onto this one. It's a book that satisfies both my childhood dreams of being a superhero, and my passion for a well-written coming out story. A fast, satisfying read. Yes, it's on the level of "young adult" fiction, but when it's this fun, who cares?

Monopoly The World's Most Famous Game--and How It Got That Way by Philip Orbanes

This interesting read was a gift to me from Joyous. Part history lesson and part story of America's most popular board game. Particularly fascinating is the role Monopoly played in a world war! You'll have to read it to believe it.

The Dead Fathers Club by Matt Haig

Em (the Marquise of Wynnewood) got me this one for my birthday. Once I got over the frustrating writing style (stilted prose with no punctuations other than periods), I was able to settle into this unusual read. It's told from the perspective of an 11 year old kid, and quickly you realize that it's a retelling of Shakespeare's Hamlet. So ultimately you know where it's headed (or so you think), which adds an intriguing layer.

2 comments:

ScottE. said...

Hero was a fun book. Happy I heard about it and got it for the holidays...or birthday? Light fun.

Stef said...

That Monopoly book does sound good. Once I get through the next few months of purging, packing, and moving to an as-yet-undecided location, I may have to check it out! :-)