August 01, 2008

The iPod shuffle challenge - part deux

Well that was a fun (and popular) post. So I thought I'd continue pricklygirl's lead and post another 20, as things are a bit slow in my entertainment life this week.

21. "Everyday People" - Sly & The Family Stone

This isn't just a car commercial jingle - it's also a cool "diversity is good" song.

22. "Send Me On My Way" - Rusted Root

For my inner hippie. And no, I have no idea what the lyrics actually are.

23. "Avenue P" - Carole King

This is from King's kiddie musical, Really Rosie, which was I think the first school musical I did in elementary school. Those songs really stuck with me.

24. "Walkin' After Midnight" - Patsy Cline

When I go to eat at Hard Times Cafe, I fully expect to find this on the jukebox, or I'm sad.

25. "Band of Gold" - Kimberley Locke

She's still my all-time fave contestant formerly of American Idol. I loved when she covered this song on the show.

26. "What Have You Done For Me Lately" - Janet Jackson

Remember the video? And that Paula Abdul was in it before she had her own career? Good times.

27. "I Believe" - original Off-Broadway cast of Altar Boyz

What is awesome about this musical is that it both skewers and lauds modern religion. Hilarious! The Jewish guy was totally the hot one.

28. "You Go To My Head" - Sarah Vaughan

I do like Ella, Dinah, and Billie, but the singer of the age for me was totally Sarah. Her music goes down like a smooth glass of Frangelico.

29. "On The Willows" - original Broadway cast of Godspell

Wow, what's with all the religion-themed musicals? This song makes me cry when I see it performed live. Every time.

30. "Brokedown Palace" - Joan Osborne

I simply adore Joan Osborne, and even really get into this album which is all country and bluegrass-tinged soul. That raspy voice just rocks.

31. "Then He Kissed Me" - The Crystals

My all-time favorite "oldies" song! I can't help but bounce around and sing, just like in the start of Adventures in Babysitting.

32. "La La" - The Verve Pipe

This was my college band, by which I mean they got their start in my college town when I was there. I saw them oodles of times live (for free!) at the bars & clubs in Kalamazoo. They were so very cool. I'm sad that mainstream success ultimately spelled their demise.

33. "When Doves Cry" - Prince

No one does it better than purple royalty.

34. "Good Morning Baltimore" - original Broadway cast of Hairspray

Who knew John Waters' screwball movie would make such an infectious musical? This song makes me want to wake up for sure.

35. "Padam Padam" - Edith Piaf

We got way into Edith after seeing La Vie En Rose, and this is totally her best song, in my opinion. It makes me want to go back and take more French classes.

36. "Dance Like There's No Tomorrow" - Paula Abdul

Oh hello, embarrassment. OK, I admit it - I heard Paula put out a new single, and I totally bought it immediately. And I tap my foot when I listen to it. So sue me!

37. "Land of a Thousand Words" - Scissor Sisters

Funny, this was on Joyous' list also! We are big, big fans of the Sisters - we've seen them in concert several times. And they put on a good show.

38. "Over The Moon" - original Broadway cast of Rent

I'm sad the show closed, but it will live for ages. A modern classic! And this song is great fun - it's always interesting to see how different actresses will interpret it.

39. "Beyond The Invisible" - Enigma

I have all of Enigma's albums. It's good mood music for the background, but also good for choreography.

40. "It's De-Lovely" - Rosemary Clooney

Finally! I thought Rosemary would never make it into the shuffle. And I have a lot of her music on my iPod. This track is from a live performance she did at the London Palladium, where she performed a Cole Porter classic.


So anyone want to share 20 more? Or how about this other challenge - what's the most recent song you bought, no matter how trite or trendy?

I just bought "American Boy" by Estelle. It really gets in my head. But warning if you download it from iTunes - it is not clean.

4 comments:

Stef said...

I love, love, love "Send Me On My Way." At different times, it has made it to being my #1 most played tune.

Most recent purchase? Ha, it's kinda embarrassing... it's an old favorite from middle school-era that I just HAD to hear again, in honor of his concert here in town that I didn't think to buy tickets to. "The Edge of Heaven" by Wham! Ah, George Michael... my first gay crush AND my first Greek crush!

ScottE. said...

I did skip songs from my last 20 Random songs…if they came up again, I skipped…we already know they are on there.

1. Favorite Year, Dixie Chicks (Taking the Long Way)-The Chicks multi-Grammy winning album following Natalie’s comment “Just so you know, we’re ashamed the President is from Texas.” Great album!
2. Mr. Cladwell, Urinetown Broadway Cast Recording-Yes, a musical about pee. And corporate greed.
3. Who Wants To Live Forever, Queen (Classic Queen)-God bless Freddie Mercury. The flamboyant rocker will be remembered for eternity thanks to the likes of We Will Rock You.
4. A Tisket, A Tasket, Natalie Cole (We All Love Ella)-an album of various crooners covering Ella Fitzgerald
5. An Invitation (Afterdark: New York)-loungy, dance music, great album for a cocktail party.
6. Mona Lisas & Mad Hatters, Elton John (Honky Chateau)-my favorite Elton John album and really one of my favorite songs by Sir Elton.
7. Contact High, Scissor Sisters (Ta-Dah!)-an unreleased demo by this quirky, dancy, awesome band of the 21st century. Not the best song, but this album did yield I Don’t Feel Like Dancin’, which makes you want to dance even on a bad day.
8. Hoe-Down, Los Angeles Guitar Quartet (Labyrinth)-I heard this group at an event we had at work (on a CD!) and loved their version of a Led Zeppelin song done by a classical guitar quartet. Awesome.
9. Como Vou Fazer-Dois Irmaos (Brazilian Lounge)-from the Putomayo album collection of world music. Great background for a loungy night at home or when you have guests.
10. I Think It’s Better-Jill Scott (Words & Sounds, vol.1)-Love me some J. I. L. L. S. C. O. T. T. She’s my top modern day soul diva. Check her out!
11. Talking to my Angel-Melissa Etheridge (Yes I Am)-Short story. Saw Melissa on my 21st b-day. Was totally hungover from going out drinking at midnight the night before. Was in about the 20-25 row on the floor. Enjoying the show. She stops a few songs in and says. “I have some seats in the front row that are empty. If you can prove it’s your birthday, they are yours!” Well I’ll be damned…I pushed my friend out of the way and RAN to the front, ID out, Melissa takes it. “Yep, it’s his b-day. Oh and he’s 21.” The crowd cheered, Melissa and 10,000 of my best friends sang Happy B-day…FAN FOR LIFE. I’ve seen Melissa in concert more than any other artist!
12. La Rue-Francis Lemarque (France-The Greatest Songs Ever)-I hosted a French themed party and downloaded this song to have a Frenchie playlist.
13. Dancing in the Streets-The Mamas & The Papas (Greatest Hits)-I want to be Mama Cass. I love her. She’s beautiful and has one of the most beautiful voices. Love the harmony The Mamas & The Papas create.
14. Welcome to the 60’s-Hairspray Broadway Cast Recording-Sweet song from a great show. Another short story. Decided one day I needed to see Hairspray, so I jumped on a bus to NYC. Got there and had to stand on the Stand-by line for standing room only. Waiting, waiting, waiting. Someone shouts “I have a free ticket.” Should I or Shouldn’t I? I did…it was in the last row of the balcony, but it was free and I had a blast. It was a spare ticket from a group of college theatre kids…perfect!
15. Daphne-Pearl Django (La Mer)-Ditto, French playlist.
16. Whatever You Want-Tina Turner (Wildest Dreams)-It’s TINA. What do you want me to say. This song kind of makes you want to make s-e-x-y time.
17. Jailhouse Rock-All Shook Up Broadway Cast Recording-M’eh…bought the album for Cheyenne Jackson. He’s good. The rest of the album, not all that.
18. Razzle Dazzle-Chicago Original Motion Picture Recording-I say Chicago, the Movie brought back the modern film musical! Thank you. BTW: Richard Gere singing. Not bad. Take that James Bond.
19. Me & Mr. Jones-Amy Winehouse (Back to Black)-I really want Amy to get her shit together, I really love her sound. Raunchy, soulful, trainwreck. Get off the shit Amy!
20. Can’t Get You Out of My Head-Kylie Minogue (Fever)-The Green Fairy, Ms. Locomotion, all grown up and sexy! This song is a little infectious.

Most recent downloads, Jason Mraz and Little Jackie. Heard them on VH1 this morning…they were playing videos! Who knew they still played music on those channels. Jason Mraz, Mr. A-Z. I love his style and light pop with some great wordplay. Little Jackie sounds a little Motown with today’s beats.

Anonymous said...

You should have downloaded one of the dance remixes for American Boy. The best version, without the Kanye rap, is the Soulseekerz Radio Edit. I'll burn it for you. It's AMAZING. B and I listen to it every single time we're in the car.

The last song I purchased "Enola Gay" by OMD. But with that, I also purchased "God Only Knows" by the Beach Boys, "Make Me Smile" by Erasure, "Kids in America" by Kim Wilde and "Krafty" by New Order.

The Kara said...

Stef, I'm on the same page as you are. My most recent downloads are a series of Duran Duran songs after I found myself singing at the top of my lungs to "New Moon On Monday" when it came on the radio. So... I had to suck it up and buy it plus "Save A Prayer" and "The Reflex." Prior to that I had purchased Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. J-Lo and ScottE - if you haven't seen it I STRONGLY urge you to go for it. J-Lo, we see a bit more of Neil Patrick Harris's musical dark side like we saw in ASSASSINS. And... we'll it's just hysterical.